Standup paddling news
Outriggers on the water!
This past weekend, I hit the water with Lanakila Outrigger Canoe Club for another winter paddling session. The sun was shining as over 30 OC-1s and two OC-6s hit the water for an approximately 12 mile workout paddling from their home in Redondo Beach to El Segundo and back. Danny Ching, Leah Ching, Ryland Hart, among others sporting Puakea Designs canoes led the pack and enjoyed some time riding the generous wake thrown up by the escort boat. Hayden Ramler was on hand to capture some of the action on film and put together a fun little edit. It’s no secret outrigger paddling is one of the best ways to cross-train for standup paddling. If you have not given it a try, I highly recommend seeking out an opportunity!
Ask a Paddler
We launched a new feature column! Have you had a burning question but just didn’t know who to ask? We’ve got a solution just for you. Simply Ask a Paddler. Our first question and response addresses a request for a recommendation for a family friendly overseas paddling destination to invest in. Due to my fondness for fish tacos, I recommended Sayulita, Mexico. The town has easy access to everything you need and is the home to some pretty cool paddlers like Felipe Rodriguez Lorenzo and the Sayulita Jr. SUP Team. Read!
Events on the horizon
- 10 February: NAC Hal Rosoff Classic 2018 – Newport Beach, CA
- 10 February: Makai Cup – Ulladulla, Australia
- 10 February: Red Bull Privateers – Cape Romano, FL
- 11 February: Mike’s Paddle Sunday Fun Race Winter Series #4 2018 – Alameda, Ca
- 17 February: East Coast Paddleboard Championship – Hollywood, FL
- 17 February: 101 Surf Sports Winter Paddle Racing Series RWC#3 – Redwood City, FL
- 24 February – 3 March: Infinity SUP Skills Camp – Costa Rica
- 24 February: Lanakila Classic – Seaside Lagoon – Redondo Beach, CA
Is your favorite event listed on our calendar? Write in and let us know about it. Listings are free and always will be!