Here’s what you need to know…
Standup Paddling Community News
Kai Lenny, one of SUP’s true ultimate waterman, announced he is parting ways with longtime sponsor Naish in a very 21st century fashion – via Instagram.
“It is with a heavy heart that I will no longer be a team rider for Naish. This has been one of the toughest decisions I have had to make thus far in my career, but I am excited for the road ahead as I stay committed to becoming the best athlete and person I can be,” posted Lenny.
While the announcement comes as a surprise to the standup paddling community, Lenny has been significantly cutting back on the amount of time he dedicated to standup paddling in recent years. He was absent from most major SUP events in 2017 and is following in the footsteps of another true ultimate waterman, Jamie Mitchell, in pursuit of big wave surfing glory.
Hit the trail! The La Ventana Classic, a renowned downwind paddling festival held each January in Baja, Mexico, has added a mountain bike race to its list of activities for 2018. Mountain biking has slowly risen to become the terrestrial activity of choice for many paddlers around the world and its inclusion at the event bodes well for adventure seekers seeking a winter escape south of the border.
On a more local level, Lanakila Outrigger Canoe Club announced the date for the 2018 Lanakila Classic at the Seaside Lagoon in Redondo Beach, California. Set to take place on Saturday, February 24th, the Lanakila Classic is a perennial highlight of the SoCal Winter Racing Series.
Looking ahead at the calendar, here are some of the fantastic standup paddling and outrigger events taking place around the world.
- 13 January: Return to the Pier 2018 – Santa Barbara, CA
- 13 January: 101 Surf Sports Winter Paddle Racing Series SR4 – San Rafael, CA
- 14 January: Mike’s Paddle Sunday Fun Race Winter Series #3 2018 – Alameda, CA
- 14 January: Third Annual Paddle4Ray – Dana Point, CA
- 17 – 21 January: La Ventana Classic – Baja, Mexico
- 20 January: 2018 Painkiller Cup (BVI) – SUP Team Race – British Virgin Islands
- 20 January: 101 Surf Sports Winter Paddle Racing Series RWC#1 2018 – Redwood City, CA
- 20 January: GlaGla Race – Plage de Talloires, France
- 25 – 28 January: Lazy Dog SUPFest & “Bone Island” 6-Miler Race – Key West, FL
- 27 January: 2018 Hanohano Huki Ocean Challenge – San Diego, CA
- 28-31 January: Kalama Kamp with Jim Terrell – Coco Beach, FL
- 31 January – 3 February: Kalama Kamp with Jim Terrell – Coco Beach, FL