The Week Ahead is a weekly column listing paddleboard & outrigger races and events across North America and select events from around the world. Races and events are a great way to meet new paddlers, travel to fun locations, try out different boards, and maybe even demo a new paddle craft! Not every race is super competitive. Even the ones which are typically have an event for recreational paddlers who just want to get out on the water and complete a course.
Paddleboard races are held on every body of water. Unlike in running where 5k and 10k events are the norm, there are currently no standard distances for paddleboard races. Most events offer a short course ranging from 1-3 miles and a long course ranging from 4-6 miles. Others offer single course tailored to the geography of the region. Races longer than 5 miles are often referred to as a distance race and are only recommended for experienced paddlers.
Outrigger canoe races take on a variety of forms from the popular OC-1 and OC-2 commonly seen racing alongside SUPs to the six man canoes (OC-6) used in offshore races around the world. There are even 9-man races, consisting of six paddlers in a canoe accompanied by an escort boat carrying three additional paddlers and a change coach. This format is typically reserved for long distance races.
Have fun and we’ll see you on the water!
Paddleboard & Outrigger Races and Events
Here’s what you need to know
- 9 December: Palm to Pines – Palm Beach, NSW, Australia
- 9 December: King Harbor Holiday Boat and Paddle Parade – Redondo Beach, CA
- 9 December: Tecolote 5000 2017 – 5K Multi Craft Paddle – San Diego, CA
- 10 December: Mike’s Paddle Sunday Fun Race Winter Series #2 2017 – Alameda, CA
- 16 December: 101 Surf Sports Winter Paddle Racing Series SR3 – San Rafael, CA
- 17 December: Capital SUP Race Series Event #3: Spa Sprints – Annapolis, MD
- 30 December: Tecolote 5000 2017 – 5K Multi Craft Paddle – San Diego, CA
Is your local event listed on our calendar? If not, write in and let us know. We are adding new races and events each week!