The Week Ahead is a weekly column listing paddleboard & outrigger races and events across North America and select events from around the world. Races and events are a great way to meet new paddlers, travel to fun locations, try out different boards, and maybe even demo a new paddle craft! Not every race is super competitive. Even the ones which are typically have an event for recreational paddlers who just want to get out on the water and complete a course.
Paddleboard races are held on every body of water. Unlike in running, there are currently no standard distances for paddleboard races. In the United States, a distance of around 4-5 miles is a typical distance for an average race. Many races will hold a short course of approximately 1 mile for new paddlers in conjunction with their main event. Races longer than 5 miles are often referred to as a distance race and are only recommended for experienced paddlers.
Outrigger canoe races take on a variety of forms from the popular OC-1 and OC-2 commonly seen racing alongside SUPs to the six man canoes (OC-6) used in offshore races around the world. There are even 9-man races, consisting of six paddlers in a canoe accompanied by an escort boat carrying three additional paddlers and a change coach. This format is typically reserved for long distance races.
Have fun and we’ll see you on the water!
Paddleboard & Outrigger Races and Events
Here’s what you need to know:
- 11 November: La Jolla Invitational – La Jolla, CA
- 11 November: Big South Fork River Dash 2017 – Whitley City, KY
- 11 November: Englewood Beach PaddleFest 2017 – Manasota Key, FL
- 11 November: Nish Outrigger Challenge 2017 – Key Biscayne, FL
- 11 November: Lianne Ritter 2018 – Edgewater, MD
- 12 November: Capital SUP Race Series Event #2: The Severn Run – Annapolis, MD
- 12 November: Mike’s Paddle Sunday Fun Race Winter Series #1 2017 – Alameda, CA
Is your local event listed on our calendar? If not, write in and let us know. We are adding new races and events each week!